DRAKE IS LOWKEY A MISOGYNIST

12:53

DRAKE IS LOWKEY A MISOGYNIST


So I'm writing this post following a conversation I had with a friend about Drake. This friend of mine stated how she felt drake is a feminist. When this so-called friend of mine said this I questioned our entire friendship, for me this was the end and I was ready to start holding interviews to fill the position. Don't get me wrong I LOVE Drake and his music  but you have to admit his music is lowkey, high key misogynistic.
Its practically tradition for rappers to be blatantly misogynistic and slut shame,yet we glaze over it when Drake does it.


Sexism has meant Drake has been labelled as a 'soft' guy and has been the butt of many jokes about masculinity, all of which I disagree with, though I can't lie I have laughed at one too many times of these jokes. Throughout mainstream media black male bodies are hyper-sexualised such that when black men allow their vulnerability to show they are perceived to be feminine-like because of the preconceived notions about how they should act. I feel like this allows him to get away with some of the misogyny in his music. This is not to say that Drake is overly sexist, but he is obsessed with idea of a 'good girl'. The 'good girl' seems like a backhanded compliment. If we look at lyrics in Hotline Bling, throughout the song Drake is condemning the poor girl for going out and her wardrobe choices. In Drakes opinion it seems that 'good girls' are meant to stay at home not talking to any other guy or hang out with new people, waiting for Drake to come back. The good girl is a recurring character in Drakes music this 'good girl' is mentioned in 'Hold on we're going home' and 'Mine'. He's not the only rapper to be fetishsized in rap/pop music for example Kanye mentions that 'one good girl is worth a thousand b*tches'
Could Rihanna be his good girl?
This 'good girl' seems to me as a form of control, Drake is dictating what behaviour is acceptable and whats not. If a women seems to be threatening the patriarchal version of whats acceptable behaviour for a woman then they are slut shamed and belittled.  In all honesty I don't think Drake hates women, however, the use of the good girl and bad girl creates a competitive division between women and also promotes a culture of shame.
Its unrealistic to say I am never going to listen or dance to a Drake song again but I won't let the catchy beat or his embarrassing dad dance moves distract me from what he's really saying. 
Until next time,

Chengetai Victoria.


You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. I do see the point of the good girl bad girl division. I wouldn't say Drake's definition of a good girl is what we deem "good" remember every one has different taste.
    I don't think we as women should allow a guy's preference cause a drift amongst us women tho.
    I love Drake but you do make a valid point but then then in some guy's dictionaries that is the definition of a good girl as opposed to a bad girl definition.
    Cool post! You got me to engage in a debate!! Brava!!!!👏👏
    Lemonadesociety.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *