DON'T TOUCH MY HAIR

11:19

DON'T TOUCH MY HAIR

Growing up in Essex and going to a predominantly white school, I learnt that I was probably one of the first black people that a lot of my peers had encountered on a personal level, which meant there tended to be a fascination with my hair and hairstyles. I used to dread stepping onto my school bus after a school break or weekend, where I had had my hair done. I was usually met with stares, whispers and an amplitude of questions such as 'How did you grow your hair so fast????' Naturally, they were curious and couldn't understand how my hair had gone from a short weave to long box braids down to my waist over the space of 6 weeks. I am sure many black women in the UK have experienced this and it is nothing new. The fascination with black women did not begin with this generation, it was the curiosity of the white man that lead to Saartjie Bartmaan being displayed and dissected because of her features. She was amongst other South African women who were exhibited as a freak show. She was degraded, seen and treated like an animal, and not as a human being.  Often when I bring up how much I despise people touching my hair without my permission, I am met with eye rolls particularly from my male friends. Whilst touching someones hair without their permission may seem like a microaggression especially in comparison to the many horrific attacks against black people, the sub-conscious attack has made me feel lesser and devalued me.




Solange Knowles only reconfirmed how I and many black women have been feeling as she sang 'Don’t touch my soul, when it’s the rhythm I know. Don’t touch my crown, they say the vision I’ve found' in her song 'Don't touch my hair'. The song, in fact the entire album, was completely necessary and I wish I had been a young teen in secondary school when the album had come out. 

Last week a picture of Rihanna and Sarah Paulson filming on the set of Ocean's Eight went viral because it really looks like every black woman's experience when they have braids.
I'm sure every black woman can relate to this. Rihanna's face sums up how I have felt in similar situations
I admit this is not the biggest issue that needs to be addressed in society, however, it would be much appreciated if I could live in a world where a random person doesn't pet me like an animal, without my permission. 
What do you guys think? What have been your experiences?

Until next time

Chengetai Victoria
xoxo

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *